Last week was my first week back after a fabulous break, and I really struggled with apathy. Now, it may have had something to do with the fact that I have a 10 week old puppy that keeps my attention longer than anything else at the moment, but I knew I had to snap out of it. So, here are my top 5 tips for converting apathy to energy to kick start 2015:
- Write a list of the most exciting deals/projects you will work on this year
- highlight the most exciting ones and start something on 1 of them today.
- See if you can palm the not so exciting ones; or reshape them so they are a little more interesting; or get them done quickly so they are off your plate.
- Consider your resources, who do you need on your team to deliver these deals/projects
- Do you have the right mix of skill and knowledge in your existing team.
- Can you pull someone in from another team or externally to ensure success.
- Start the ball rolling on the year, set up meetings for the next week that will kick start some of these projects/deals.
- Call people
- Hearing about what everyone has been up to in their break can be energising.
- Also, there are a tonne of others out there suffering apathy, so will be happy to hear from you, especially if you can give them some direction.
- Change your environment, a new desk location, new note pad, etc – a change is as good as a holiday. Also, if you have to re-write your to do list in a new note pad it will help get your head back in the game.
If all else fails, buy a puppy and enjoy her madness for a while.
Happy 2015, here’s to a huge year of successes!!